Sunday, October 14, 2007

SSB time

Time: June 2002 (for about 4-5 days)
PlaceMysore, Chamundi Hills
Company: SSB mates

Highlights: Got selected for the Services Selection Board at Mysore. All excited, went to Mysore via train. We were taken to the SSB place in buses - each having a seat of our own (this became important on the last day!) 

At the SSB, we were told about our itinerary for the next few days. We were allotted our hostel beds. It was a great dormitory - and we all guys had lot of fun. There was even a gym - my first ever experience of a gym!

Over the next few days, we had multiple tests such as IQ test (this lasted for about 4 hours!), interview (10-15 minutes, I realized I did badly when I told I will go to US for Masters if I flunk in SSB!), physical test (I fell from top while trying to catch a rope from about 10 feet height!) and many such things - all these were just one a day. We had one day off when we guys went to Chamundi Hills. The food was bad on all days in the canteen. We pitied the Indian Army for such food!

On the last day, results were announced, and not surprisingly I was not selected. All the failed candidates were herded into one truck like a sheep (note the difference now from the first day!) and sent back to railway station for departure to Bangalore!

Although I did badly, it was a memorable experience.

No comments: